Emilio Ribas Public Health Museum

 

 Editor de Conteúdo

 
The Emilio Ribas Public Health Museum was installed in 1979 in the building that used to house the Disinfection Center, constructed in 1893, which had previously been used as the headquarters of the Bom Retiro estate. Handed over to the Council for the Defense of Historical, Archeological, Artistic and Touristic Heritage (Conselho de Defesa do Patrimônio Histórico, Arqueológico, Artístico e Turístico, CONDEPHAAT) in 1984, it is considered to be a historically relevant piece of architectural heritage for the State of São Paulo.

 

photo exhibit

Since its creation, it has been designated as a depository of one of the most important collections of health documents in Brazil, made up of printed texts and images, sound and audiovisual recordings and objects which are displayed as historical series of documents pertaining to the State Secretariat of Health and institutional and personal foundations both public and private related to health from the end of the nineteenth century to this day. It maintains a permanent exhibit, composed of works from its photography collection on subjects related to the history of health, which can be visited by appointment.

 

Collection

In 2010, the Museum was transferred to Instituto Butantan's Cultural Development Center building. In this way, the institutional policies for preservation of historical collections and scientific diffusion are strengthened while simultaneously opening a new perspective on projects developed to produce knowledge in the history of science and health and in the democratization of public access to information.

 

For more information, contact us by telephone: +55 (11) 3331-0341 or 3367-7937

 

Emilio Ribas Public Health Museum

Rua Tenente Pena, 100

Bom Retiro, São Paulo