our history

 

 Editor de Conteúdo ‭[1]‬

 
An outbreak of bubonic plague that propagated from the port of Santos, in 1899, led the state of Sao Paulo's public administration to create a laboratory attached to the Bacteriological Institute (currently the Adolpho Lutz) for the production of anti-plague serum. This laboratory, located on the Butantan Farm, was recognized as an independent institution in February of 1901 under the name of the Serotherapeutic Institute. The first director assigned to the lab was Doctor Vital Brazil Mineiro da Campanha, who studied public health problems. 
Besides the production of sera and vaccines, the Institute's research, concern for disseminating science and its performance have always been part of its regular functions and have brought it international recognition. 113 years after its founding, the Butantan is an outstanding center of biomedical investigation that integrates scientific and technological research, production of immuno-biological products and technical-scientific diffusion, aiming at the constant updating and integration of its resources as well as innovation.
 

 Editor de Conteúdo ‭[2]‬

 
​​